THCAS Orientation 2023
If you attended our presentation, please provide feedback by completing this short survey.
STEP 1: Register for Orientation
Welcome! Please review and complete all bullet points below in order. You then will want to return to this site and review STEP 2-4.
- Pay your $100 enrollment deposit to secure your spot. Visit https://admissions.ecu.edu/enroll/freshmen/ for more information.
- Sign up for Orientation Registration for Summer Orientation will open in mid-March. Students will need to pay the enrollment deposit before registering for orientation. There is also an orientation fee as well. For more information and to register for orientation, visit https://orientation.ecu.edu/freshmen/
- Log onto Pirate Port and select “View Registration Pin” (Pins will be available sometime in mid/late April – date TBA)
- Review major information found on PIER website https://pier.ecu.edu/. Before you register for classes, it will be important that your major is listed correctly in banner. If your wish to change your major, please let us know what you want to switch to by emailing your name, Banner ID, and new major to firstname.lastname@example.org. This is also a good time to read about all of our majors to explore your options! Here is a link to all of our BACHELOR’S Degrees offered at ECU https://pier.ecu.edu/prepare/major-exploration/
- Register for classes! You can find step by step instructions on how to register https://registrar.ecu.edu/preparing-to-register/
- Confirm your registration! Review PIER to make sure you’ve actually registered! (Sometimes, students put courses in a “plan” or “shopping cart” and never actually register! Don’t let this happen to you.)
- Continue to follow the steps on the Admissions Checklist and also our Academic Advising Checklist.
For questions about orientation, call the Office of Student Transitions at 252-328-4173 and leave a message.
Welcome! In order to register for courses, you must complete an online orientation to receive a password. If you have not received information about this, please call the Office of Student Transitions at 252-328-4173 and leave a message. After you complete the online orientation and receive the password, please email our office at THCASadvising@ecu.edu with your name, Banner ID, intended major, and the password. We will reach out to you to discuss registration. Please use the transfers Admissions Checklist and also our Academic Advising Checklist as a guide for covering important steps.
For questions about orientation, call the Office of Student Transitions at 252-328-4173.
For questions about registration, please email THCASadvising@ecu.edu
STEP 2: Information and Advising by Major
Please select your major and view all videos and content provided.
STEP 3: Review Registration Basics
Please review all content under this section and refer back to this section as needed. It is very important that you review any documents and watch all videos under your selected major in STEP 2 before moving to this step. This will help you best understand registration basics, learn about your major, and receive specific advising recommendations.
Math Placement Information – This page will talk about math placement scores needed for specific math courses.
Foreign Language Requirements (video) – B.A (Bachelor of Art) degrees require a foreign language, B.S (Bachelor of science) degrees do not. However, pursuing a foreign language is a compliment to all areas of study and can be pursued with any degree. You can download a PDF copy of this video here.
Health Professions Orientation – Please watch this video if you are interested in pursing a pre-professional goal such as Dentistry, Medicine, Occupational Therapy, Optometry, Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, Physician Assistant, and Veterinary Medicine.
Registration Problems – Common registration problems/issues and how to resolve the issue.
University Catalogs – Look-up degree requirements, academic rules and regulations, etc.
Degree Works – Use Degree Works to review major requirements and your progress towards graduation.
Four-Year Degree Plans – List of degrees with a sample course sequence by semester.
STEP 4: Explore THCAS Minors, Accelerated Programs, and Certificates
If your major requires a minor, we encourage you to start reviewing those early and let your academic advisor know which minor you wish to pursue. Even if your major does not require a minor, it may still be possible to include one into your degree plan. Early planning and communication with your advisor will be the key to incorporating minors into your degree plan.
For a listing of all minors, accelerated programs, and certificates within the Thomas Harriot College of Arts and Science, click HERE. To view requirements for a specific minor or certificate, see University Catalogs and then select Current Catalog > Certificates, and other Undergraduate Programs.